LIFE AND SOUL
Life and Soul Free Health Fair - is a bellwether annual fall event of Love to Share Foundation America organized in the two cities of Houston and Dallas. Life and Soul was first started in Houston in the year 2011. It is organized in the spirit of promoting health awareness and serving the community.
Free screenings, vaccinations, giveaways, health education, and consultations enable the community to access healthcare at its doorsteps. Life and Soul is a rich blend of businesses, volunteers and professionals who are ready to freely offer their services to a community that can best use these services.
- Height, Weight and Body Mass Index (BMI): BMI is a measure of weight in relation to height. It is the most practical way to estimate if a person is underweight, healthy weight, overweight, or obese.
- Blood Pressure Screening: The diagnosis of hypertension requires integration of home or ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) in addition to measurements made in the clinical setting. A daytime (awake) average of ≥130/≥80 mmHg meets the diagnostic criteria of Hypertenion based on 2017 AHA/ACC guidelines.
- Cholesterol Screenings: Cholesterol or lipid screening aids in the process of determining the risk of a cardiovascular event like stroke or a heart attack. 10 hour fasting is required for accurate results.
- Diabetes Screening: One of the major causes of early illness worldwide, screening of Diabetes at the health fair involves a fasting blood sugar or glycosylated Hemoglobin (Hba1c) screen. 10 hour fasting is required for fasting blood sugar screening.
- Vision and Glaucoma Screening: Assessment and early detection of vision impairment may improve vision outcome, functional status and quality of life. Glaucoma Screening can detect elevated intraocular pressure or optic nerve damage that can cause progressive loss of the field of vision.
- Hearing Screen: Screening for hearing loss using Pure Tone Audiometry, can aid in early detection. Hearing Loss may result in low self esteem, social isolation and cognitive decline.
- Bone Density Scan: Detects bone mass. Osteoporosis or low bone mass can compromise bone strength and predispose a person to fracture.
- Carotid Doppler: Carotid Doppler is a non invasive method of screening Carotid Artery Stenosis - a risk factor for stroke.
- Ankle Brachial Index: Ankle Brachial Index or ABI is a relatively simple method of screening Peripheral Arterial Disease or PAD
- Lung Function Test: Spirometry is a useful Pulmonary Function Test that can aid in diagnosing Asthma, COPD and other lung diseases
- EKG: EKG a crucial test that can detect abnormal heart rhythms, issues with the conduction of electric impulse in the heart, and decreased blood supply to the heart muscle.
- Thyroid Ultrasound: Thyroid Ultrasound in an non invasive test that can aid in the diagnosis of thyroid cancer.
- Mammogram: Screening Mammogram is a test that detects breast cancer early and facilitates early treatment. This screening is reserved for uninsured Brazoria County residents.
- Vaccinations: Shingles, vaccine, Pneumonia, Influenza Vaccinations have been given away at the event.The vaccinations are intended for the uninsured, and it is made possible through the Be Wise - Immunize program of Texas Medical Association.
Giveaways: Helmet Giveaway for children is another attraction of the event. Hard Hats for Little Heads bicycle helmet giveaway program was created to help reduce head injury among Texas children. A properly fitting helmet can prevent almost all head injuries — up to 85 percent — the most common cause of disability or death in a bicycle crash.
Consultations - Free consultations are offered by General Physicians, Cardiologist, Gastroenterologists, Interventional Radiologists, Rheumatologists, Eye Specialists, Audiologists and Sport Medicine specialists
Education: Diabetes Education, Stroke Education, CPR Classes
Our Supporters: HEB, Texas Medical Association, Walgreens, Alvin Community College - Cardiovascular Division, Alvin Community College - Respiratory Division, Texas Eye Institute, Ying Yang Health Center, Pearland MRI, Southeast Cardiovascular Associates, Genesis Hearing Clinic, Coastal Vascular Institute, Pearland Medical Center, Frost Bank, Gale Compounding Pharmacy, Tuscany Village, ThirdCoast Terminals, Johnigan Family Trust, Cooling Towers, Internal Medicine Associates of Houston.
Our Community Leaders: Mayors of Pearland and Manvel have played a a key role since the inception of Life and Soul health fair; their encouragement and support has won us the trust of the community. Other prominent leaders and citizens like State Representative Ed Thompson, City Secretary, Fire Marshall have also toured the event and expressed their appreciation for the vendors and volunteers who strive to serve the community unconditionally.